MEASURE 49 ANYONE?
I was recently asked my position on Measure 49, on the ballot in Oregon this year, and was forced to admit that I hadn't read it. While I must plead ignorance on the details, I am inherently suspicious of this on the basis of who is supporting it. I have a reflexive distaste for misleading ballot titles, and it sounds like 49 would "gut" as opposed to "fix" Measure 37. While I am not a great fan of Measure 37, it did pass handily and was accurately titled if sloppily written. The State's interpretation that transferability is not included seems to be a ridiculous interpretation, and the purported problems in the bill's language really reflect the State's disinterest in enforcing it.
I would be very interested if anyone had any good arguments for or against on this one, as my opinion is still forming. On a somewhat related note, this article is pretty good.
I was recently asked my position on Measure 49, on the ballot in Oregon this year, and was forced to admit that I hadn't read it. While I must plead ignorance on the details, I am inherently suspicious of this on the basis of who is supporting it. I have a reflexive distaste for misleading ballot titles, and it sounds like 49 would "gut" as opposed to "fix" Measure 37. While I am not a great fan of Measure 37, it did pass handily and was accurately titled if sloppily written. The State's interpretation that transferability is not included seems to be a ridiculous interpretation, and the purported problems in the bill's language really reflect the State's disinterest in enforcing it.
I would be very interested if anyone had any good arguments for or against on this one, as my opinion is still forming. On a somewhat related note, this article is pretty good.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home