Gripe D'Jour
I was driving to my daughter's basketball game today, and was stuck behind a car with the usual array of nonsensical bumper stickers one finds in this bluest of blue cities. Today's bumper sticker was "you can't achieve peace by killing people". Damn, how can you argue with that. Here are a few other examples I am particularly fond of:
"He's Not My President"
"Fuck Bush" (catchy, witty, and a joy to explain to my nine year old)
"War Never Solved Anything"
I welcome any nominations for assinine bumper sticker of the year in the comments section.
I think it speaks to the general lack of diversity in openly expressed opinions in this town that these assinine bumper stickers are seen as expressing profound insights as opposed to exposing the inane thought process of the vehicle's owner. I have noticed that the "No Peace Without Justice" bumper stickers have dropped in popularity. Fortunately, Che T-Shirts and hammer and sickle logos remain commonplace, indicating that the local left hasn't lost its taste for blood. Is there any reason that it remains chic to wear Soviet symbols, while a swatstika is frowned apon. Personally, I don't celebrate genocidal dictatorships from either the right or left, but to each his own I suppose.
I was driving to my daughter's basketball game today, and was stuck behind a car with the usual array of nonsensical bumper stickers one finds in this bluest of blue cities. Today's bumper sticker was "you can't achieve peace by killing people". Damn, how can you argue with that. Here are a few other examples I am particularly fond of:
"He's Not My President"
"Fuck Bush" (catchy, witty, and a joy to explain to my nine year old)
"War Never Solved Anything"
I welcome any nominations for assinine bumper sticker of the year in the comments section.
I think it speaks to the general lack of diversity in openly expressed opinions in this town that these assinine bumper stickers are seen as expressing profound insights as opposed to exposing the inane thought process of the vehicle's owner. I have noticed that the "No Peace Without Justice" bumper stickers have dropped in popularity. Fortunately, Che T-Shirts and hammer and sickle logos remain commonplace, indicating that the local left hasn't lost its taste for blood. Is there any reason that it remains chic to wear Soviet symbols, while a swatstika is frowned apon. Personally, I don't celebrate genocidal dictatorships from either the right or left, but to each his own I suppose.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home