5.09.2007

Capitalism and Health Care:

Recently I received an invoice for a doctor visit. It included a statement of what I owed vs. what the insurance company would cover. Unfortunately the total cost was significantly above what I was expecting. This experience brought the question into mind; why isn’t there a price list for health care? Think about it, is there a single other good or service in our economy in which the price isn’t readily available prior to purchase? I beg somebody to find one.

Fortunately, capitalistic endeavors are beginning to tease their way into the heath care system, with an unlikely (or likely, depending on your position) player leading the way. Following up on its previously announced efforts to reduce prescription drug costs (which was immediately matched by competitors), Wal-Mart recently outlined long-term plans to expand a pilot heath care program to over 2,000 clinics over the next five to seven years. The current pilot program has operated since 2005 in 76 clinics across 12 states. The expanded service has the potential to serve a much-needed slap in the face to critics chastising Wal-Mart for its “negative impacts” on the communities it enters. Specifically, survey results from existing clinics indicate that over 50% of patrons are uninsured while 15% of the uninsured indicated they would have gone to the emergency room had the clinic not been offered. Can you say, saving hospitals and taxpayer’s money! The typical clinic visit is expected to cost less than $65.00.

2 Comments:

Blogger Beelzebub said...

I have a relative who purchases his health care on a negotiated basis. He has no coverage, but gets pretty good rates. Of course, the AMA is a guild, and better pricing information undermines pricing power.

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So now Wal-Mart's running the ma and pop healthcare providers out of business too? They won't stop until they've destroyed everything Americans hold dear.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home