5.14.2007

I Wonder if Tom Potter Knows About This?

A UN report, released last Monday concluded that, despite offering considerable benefits such as clean energy for millions and the creation of wealth and jobs in poorer countries, biofuel production also has the ability to cause real destruction.

The report warned that increasing production of liquid biofuels, such as ethanol and biodiesel, could increase the price of agricultural commodities with negative economic and social impacts, especially for the world’s poor who spend a large proportion of income on food. It also raised the issue that, where forests are cleared to make way for energy crops, GHG emissions may actually be higher overall from biofuels than from fossil fuels.
I am pretty sure his research to-date on biofuels has been reading Portland bumper stickers. He certainly hasn't been keeping up on his Guardian reading.

4 Comments:

Blogger wormwood said...

One of my favorite bars has $1.00 taco night on Tuesday's. Tuesday is my favorite day of the week. For the love of God, I hope this doesn't ruin taco night.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think biofuel should actually help proliferate $1.00 taco nights. As tacos become increasingly expensive in third world countries, taco chefs become motivated to relocate to countries such as this, where tacos are cheap and plentiful in relation to wages. The increased supply of taco chefs should more than offset the higher prices for taco shell materials due to biofuels.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of tacos, in my travels to Mexico, I've had good luck with 3/$1.00 "meat" tacos but bad luck with 5/$1.00 fish tacos at the taco stands. And avoid the white sour-cream-like sauce because they don't refrigerate it. And where else can you get a quart of Sol for seven pesos?

1:52 PM  
Blogger Beelzebub said...

I am typically looking for more specificity than "meat" when making a taco decision.

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home