“Its Hip to be Smug About Saving the Planet”
While the perception that buying “green” actually saves you money is doubtful in my mind, it is encouraging to see that the consumers cited in this survey (63%) are actually evaluating their green purchase rationally. However, I have a hard time believing that consumers are willing to pay upwards of an $18,500 premium for green homes. Note the rather loose definition of what actually constitutes “green”. I suspect creative marketing of green products will continue to blend these lines.
While the perception that buying “green” actually saves you money is doubtful in my mind, it is encouraging to see that the consumers cited in this survey (63%) are actually evaluating their green purchase rationally. However, I have a hard time believing that consumers are willing to pay upwards of an $18,500 premium for green homes. Note the rather loose definition of what actually constitutes “green”. I suspect creative marketing of green products will continue to blend these lines. The issues of green hypocrisy and the economics of green consumerism is a topic I hope to see more of in this venue. I personally am one who subscribes to the notion that the most popular “sustainable” products have marginal, if not negative net-impacts on the environment (Examples include Hybrid Cars and carbon off-set markets).

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home