6.11.2007

THE QUEST FOR GROWTH
I recently read a book I would highly recommend for anyone interested in third world economic development, The Elusive Quest for Growth. The book is written by William Easterly, who has become very cynical during a long career at the World Bank. His basic premise, that people respond to incentives, would seem pretty obvious but is apparently news to many in that field.

On that topic, I continue to be amused by the public campaign of a Kenyan economist on a lonely mission to stop aid to his country. His points are largely consistent with Easterly's, that aid supports corrupt governments as opposed to helping the population.

2 Comments:

Blogger wormwood said...

I agree with most of Mr. Shikwati’s arguments. However, I am a supporter of the World Bank’s microcredit programs in depressed third world nations.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Beelzebub said...

I am also in favor of microcredits, as it leaves less room for graft. I am sure they can redesign the programs to allow for a 30% despot cut though.

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home